The /w/ sound is also known as
The Fish Sound
Below you will find a helpful video demonstrating the sound, as well as a book list, word list, and ways to target the /w/ sound at home.
Ways to Target at Home
1. Practice the /w/ sound by going on a scavenger hunt and finding things that have the /w/ sound. (Water, Shower, etc.)
2. While reading books together, look for things that start with the /w/ sound and practice saying them.
3. Practice the /w/ sound by coloring or painting pictures that have the /w/ sound in them (Winter, Tower, etc.)
Here are some words you can use to practice the /w/ or The Fish Sound:
Here are some books you can read to practice the /w/ sound:
- Winnie the Witch by Valerie Thomas and Korky Paul
- Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
- The Loneliest Whale by Jessica Therrien
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Eric Carle
- Superworm by Julia Donaldson
- Like a Windy Day by Frank Asch
- Woodpecker Wants a Waffle by Steve Breen