The /sh/ sound is also known as
The Quiet Sound
Below you will find a helpful video demonstrating the sound, as well as a book list, word list, and ways to target the /sh/ sound at home.
Ways to Target at Home
1. Practice the /sh/ sound by going on a scavenger hunt and finding things that have the /sh/ sound. (Shoe, Brush, etc.)
2. While reading books together, look for things that start with the /sh/ sound and practice saying them.
3. Practice the /sh/ sound at home by playing hide and seek. Write down words or print out picture that have the /sh/ sound in them. Hide and then find the words together, making sure to practice saying them with a good /sh/ sound.
Here are some words you can use to practice the /sh/ or The Quiet Sound:
Here are some books you can read to practice the /sh/ sound:
- One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish by Dr. Seuss
- Pout Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen
- The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
- Smiley Shark by Ruth Galloway
- Good Night Pirate Ship by Adam Gamble and Mark Jasper
- There Was an Old Pirate Who Swallowed A Fish by Jennifer Ward