What is stigma?
Stigma involves negative attitudes or discrimination against someone based on a distinguishing characteristic such as a mental illness.
Stigma prevents 40 per cent of people with anxiety or depression from seeking medical help.
How you can help reduce stigma
1. Educate yourself about mental illness
2. Be aware of your attitudes and behaviour
3. Choose your words carefully - think of the impact they have on others
4. Educate others - share facts, challenge stereotypes, and share your own story
5. Focus on the positive
6. Support others - treat everyone with dignity and respect
7. Include everyone - encourage equality